Fried Green Tomatoes - Vegan
For the tomatoes:
- 2-3 firm green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Canola oil, for frying
For the dip:
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (we used Frank’s)
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Place cornstarch in one shallow bowl.
- Mix vegan mayo and almond milk in another shallow bowl.
- Combine panko, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder and salt in another shallow bowl.
- Slice tomatoes into 1 1/2 inch thick slices. Be sure to slice them thick enough that they’ll stay together in the frying pan.
- One by one, transfer slices tomatoes into cornstarch, coating all sides, transfer to vegan mayo / almond milk mixture, and finally in the panko mixture until all sides are coated. Repeat until all tomato slices are coated.
- Make your dip. In a small bowl combine vegan sour cream, vegan mayo, garlic powder, lime juice and, hot sauce and salt. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in shallow frying pan until oil reaches 350 degrees.
- Using tongs, place sliced tomatoes into the pan and fry on each side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Watch closely to ensure the tomatoes don’t burn.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate and serve immediately with spicy dip!